Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Our new life in Mali

Hello to all! I know I have been a failed blogger these past months, but I am now going to try and make a come back into the blogosphere : )

In late July we arrived at our second post and new home, Bamako. For those of you that don't know that is in the country of Mali. Mali is in west Africa and has the legendary town of Timbuktu in the north of this large country.

We have loved our time in Mali so far! Is it hard here? Yes! TIA or "this is Africa" can be heard frequently coming from my lips. My expectations were low coming here, but I have been quite pleasantly surprised. Malians are some if the nicest people! They are warm and friendly, always greeting us and smiling. That alone is a huge improvement over our last post.

We have a home with beautiful tropical plants and fruits. The pool in our yard has been enjoyed almost daily by our children since we arrived in Mali. Most importantly for a bird lover like me, BIRDS are all over. I am already adding birds to my "life list".

Another development for us here is our new "pets". Kelly worked very hard and built a deluxe chicken coop so we could raise chickens for the eggs. The kids have loved the four hens and one rooster. They each have their own chicken that they care for each day.

All our kids have started school since labor day weekend. I am alone at home in the morning for the first time in 9 1/2 years! I am glad that Timmy and Hope are going to preschool, but I miss my little ones.

I am going back to school to get a Bachelors in Science: Maternal Child Health. When I am done I will be able to take the board certification exam to become an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. This has been a dream of mine for many years. My free time while my littlest are in pre-school is spent getting schoolwork completed.

I hope to post more about our life very soon. Blessings to you all from Bamako, Crystal