Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My own Mission





Living in Kuwait has been very eye opening for me. There is a great divide in this country. A divide between the very wealthy Kuwaitis and the extremely poor workers. I have read of there stories in The Arab Times one of the newspapers in Kuwait. Often these workers survive on a pittance and send most or even all the money they do make back home to India, Bangladesh or the Philippines. Over these past months the street cleaners have come to my attention. I have heard from several housekeepers and nannies that they are the lowest of this culture. Similar to the "untouchables" of India. I have decided I have to act.

I have started by packing a lunch each day for my local street cleaner. I began noticing him each morning when I would be out waving goodbye to Grace and Faith as they get on the bus each morning for school. He would watch our family scene of many goodbye hugs and kisses shared between me, Kelly and the girls. Our goodbye each morning is so sweet, but you would think the girls were going off to fight in a war. Many hugs are exchanged and equally as many kisses. As our morning farewells are given the street cleaner watches with a large smile on his face. I knew immediately in my heart that I needed to begin bringing him lunch and fresh water.

I have been doing this each morning I see him for awhile now. I started giving it too him before I went to Egypt. He has become my friend and I look forward to seeing him each morning. It has now become "my mission" to bring food and water to people in need. I prepare little lunches and water bottles each day that I will be out driving. When I stop at a light and see a street cleaner or gardener out in the hot Kuwait sunshine, I wave them over and give them my care package. I am so blessed to have this opportunity! It has filled my heart with joy and love for all his creation. I know God loves each one of these special people as much as he loves a "rich" person like me. Honestly sometimes I am embarrassed because I give out of excess and have much more food at home for my family. Jesus shares about those giving out of their poverty, that is my example. I strive to give more and more.

As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." Luke 21:1-4


Honestly I am not "rich" per American standards. In fact we took a pay cut to choose this amazing life for our family. Compared to the rest of the world we are wealthy, we have two cars, excess food, clean water, clothing, books to read, money to save and spend, and time and money to go away on vacation with. I know that God alone through his grace has provided all this and I am determined to use it all to his glory and pleasure. Do I fail? YES! At times I WANT this and that, that I don't need. I make selfish choices. I share all this with you to encourage you. That if God can change a person like me there is indeed hope for everyone.

I feel such joy after giving even the smallest thing in God's name. I pray for the recipients and thank God for this opportunity to give out of my abundance. I amazed at how he has blessed me by being able to see the world through the people he created. I am shocked at how others look down these people. I know that through this God is changing me and he has given me my mission. It may not be the most glamorous, but it is what I have been given a heart for. The other day I was at stoplight and I noticed a gardener working in the HOT sun. I waved him over and gave him the contents of my special care package. He smiled a huge smile and said"thank you, M'am." He even squeezed my hand I knew in that touch, even if I never saw him again , he knew I cared for him. I am overjoyed as I type this! I am already thinking of an excuse to drive the crazy Kuwait streets to share love, joy, and some food and water with my new friends. Thank you God for bringing me to Kuwait, showing me your heart for the people and "my mission".