Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

You can't find this stuff in the States



Today we went to one of my favorite stores in all of Kuwait. It is under a large grocery store and has many things for very inexpensive. We call it the 100 fils store. KD (Kuwaiti Dinars) are broken down this way. KD 1/500 would be a price tag you would see on an item at a store. That item would cost 1 KD and 500 fils. 1 KD equals 1000 fils. 1 KD also equals about $ 3.65. Is that as clear as mud?


Back to the 100 fils store. This has been my best find in Kuwait as of now. We can go and get many cheap toys for 100, 250 or 500 fils. I used to enjoy taking my kids to the good dollar stores in the U.S. I miss dollar stores in Kuwait. So many things in Kuwait are extremely expensive. This is a great place to get birthday decorations, balloons and cheap Chinese toys.



I have started to become more aware of purchasing things here that we would NEVER find in the U.S. One example being a "Barbie" doll called Fulla. I found her in a store locally all decked out in her Abaya. I knew I needed a photo of that! On my shopping trip today I found two items that stand out as items not regularly available on U.S. shelves. First, is the man riding a camel and playing his guitar. I had to buy a few of these to send to friends back home. The camel is battery powered, it walks and the man strums his guitar and sings. The camels eyes also glow red. I don't know why a camel would have glowing red eyes. maybe his eyes are red because, he can't sleep while the man is singing? Maybe he is a robotic camel like "Kit" from "Knight Rider"
only the Arabic version of the show "Knight Racer".



My other favorite find for the day is a "Fulla" coloring book. The book contains many images of Fulla posing with her Abaya or Hijab. Now I know there are many different ways for women to cover themselves in Islam and frankly at times it does get confusing. Here in Kuwait, many women wear the full black Abayas. So what color are little girls supposed to color, Fulla? It makes for an interesting thought. Have a good weekend! I am off to Oman and Qatar next week. I have heard Oman is amazingly beautiful. I will try to get you many photos in Oman and share them as soon as I can~