Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I am blessed to have met you

We have the opportunity to visit a U.S. Army base in Kuwait. What an amazing blessing that is! We have had the best experiences while there. Our U.S. service men and women seem to always have a nice word and a smile for our family. I have had random service men at the PX helping me with grocery shopping and chatting with the children. It is clean at the base, orderly and they have a Taco Bell : )

We get to spend U.S. dollars at the base. I am shocked at how quickly I have transitioned over to KD (Kuwaiti Dinar) being the currency I speak of, I have to pause and think what am I spending? I have looked at it and thought and "how many dollars does that equal?" Lucky for me, last time I checked one U.S. dollar was still equal one U.S. dollar : ) That makes the conversion very easy for me while on the base.

But this post is a post to say how proud and grateful I am for our U.S. service men and women! Thank you for serving our country and keeping us safe. Thank you for coming to the hottest place on earth and sacrificing yourself for our freedoms. You truly amaze me! I see you walking in your full fatigues in the 110 degree heat (and it gets MUCH hotter, I just have yet to experience it) smiling and waving at my children. I am thankful when you tell me to "take your time, Ma'am", when I am struggling to get screaming children into my car that is parked next to yours and you need to get into your car. Thank you for showing me respect and such patience. It is rarely seen when I am off the base in Kuwait. This is most likely because I am women living in a society where women are commonly overlooked.

I am honored that you who have given your life so I can vote, drive an automobile, own property, worship who I want and truly be free as a bird. Can you tell I am proud of our military? I wish I had the names and addresses of some of the men and women we have seen in our time at the base. I would love to write their mothers, fathers or that special person in their life who raised them. I would tell them they should always be proud of their sacrifice and respect for other people. I would tell them that the life they have chosen is hard, often times thankless and undervalued. I would tell them that I pray for them after I interact with them. I would tell them that they are my heroes! But, alas I am forced out of my dream letter writing to care for my own children wanting this or that. I leave the base thinking what a blessing it was to be among Americans and to have witnessed such respect and honor. Thank you again for welcoming us on your base and for the kindness you have shown us. Keep up the hard, good work and may God bless you and your families for your self sacrifice always. I am so proud to be a fellow American~