Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My thoughts after a month



Hello All! As I have lived in Arlington now for over a month I must list some of my observations.




First, everyone is kind here. Rare is the person who doesn't stop and say "Hello" to the kids and me. People have helped us with doors, chatted with Timmy in the elevator about his new crocs and random people have reciprocated when kisses are blown at them from two giggling toddlers in a large double stroller. Once Timmy even insisted that a random white bald man on the Metro was "Daddy", I of course was horrified as the man was old enough to be my father. The stranger kindly made funny faces at Tim for the remainder of the journey. We even had a homeless women get on the metro on night and sing for us. She sang "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and the kids were thrilled!! Now the kids think all the metro trips should include live entertainment.


Second, the weather is gorgeous here in Virginia. We are used to it being markedly cooler by this time of the year back in Michigan. I haven't worn much more than a polar fleece jacket a couple of times since arriving. It has been sunny and warm, which is an amazing blessing when you are trapped in a small apartment with five kids. We have been to the park at every available opportunity.


Lastly, everything is uber expensive here. I am still not over sticker shock on many food items we buy. OUCH! I am told this will help to prepare me for Kuwait. I miss getting a Little Caesar's Pizza for five bucks. I can't even buy a frozen pizza for that much. Everything is here, but nothing is as convenient as in the Midwest. You can have anything you want in theory, but you can't find parking. I took HUGE parking spots for granted for too many years.



In closing the transition is becoming easier and we are enjoying it. We miss all those back in Michigan and we hope you are well~