Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

The Friday Market

The Friday market is something that is not to be missed if you visit Kuwait. Our visit there was great fun. We went there to look at birds. Kelly had visited the day before and shared with me he had found a pet for me, a hawk. In Kuwait people enjoy the sport of Falconry or Hawking.
This is fascinating to me because I am in awe of birds of prey. I can be commonly spotted looking up the skies at hawks, eagles and falcons. I had thought falconry would be a neat skill to learn.

The Bunch really enjoyed the Friday market. There are all sorts of pets and animals there. They were able to pet and touch many different things. The favorite was the chicks that were dyed pretty Easter colors. Poor little chicks were not the same after we stopped by to greet them. I think Hope thought they were Marshmallow Peeps. We had to explain to her, "you can't eat them or smash them with your fist."

I did get to hold a hooded Hawk. The shop keeper wanted to remove the hood for me. I couldn't do it, not yet. This bird is very powerful and I have never had a bird of prey look directly into my eyes. He is a killing machine, his talons alone could rip apart my flesh. I decided let's keep the hood on until we get to know each other. I would love to train one of these beautiful creatures, but we opted for the parakeets for now. My dream now is to become an accomplished Falconer and get a job with Medieval Times when we return to the States. I think for now though I will start smaller. I am still trying to get the parakeet trained to sit on my finger and not run away as he attempts to land on my head.


In these photos is our new housekeeper/nanny, Miss Arcanja. She is from India and she is a gem!!!


Have a good weekend~