Pages

Monday, April 2, 2007

Hallelujah, it is Spring!



Hello All! I love spring for many reasons. The weather is warming up. The flowers are peaking through the cold rain soaked ground. Most importantly birds migrate through my backyard. I love birds and birdwatching. I am not the type to have a bird in a cage in my home. Watching wild birds in God's big, bright, beautiful world is a thrill for me. Today I had two fun sightings. The Brown Creeper is the first picture I posted. I can see this bird better after a rain. They are hard to spot as the "creep" up a tree gleaning for insects to eat. They are so well camouflaged in our backyard trees. But, when it rains colors change ever so slightly. The Brown Creeper does not blend as well into my rain soaked forest in the backyard. So I was able to watch my friend the creeper creep for 15 minutes as I prepared breakfast. He would go about half way up each tree than fly to the bottom of a neighboring tree and start his ascent anew. It is amazing to me how God has designed and protected him so well.


The next bird I have enjoyed watching of late is the Song Sparrow. I have one who has been visiting my birdbath and the ground around my bird feeders for about three days. My mother taught me how to identify this bird by it's song. So it is fun to listen for it. I hope he or she will breed in my yard : ) So as you can tell I love this time of year. I wake up each day with my binoculars in hand, make the coffee and watch for a new feathered friend. God Bless you all- Crystal