Pages

Friday, October 12, 2007

Eight point buck

Hello All! Fall has arrived upon our doorstep. The leaves are changing into brilliant hues and falling. The air is a sharp contrast from last week. Currently it is 47 degrees here, but with sun shining through the clouds. I have been thinking lately when am I going to see "my deer" again. Our backyard is quite shielded all summer with full green leaves and pine needles. But for the fall, winter and part of spring we enjoy watching deer crossing our backyard beyond our fence. It is most commonly does and fawns in groups as big as 12-14. I only remember one or two bucks the whole time we have lived here. But today as I sat on the couch talking to Kelly at lunchtime I felt eyes on me through the sliding glass door in our family room. I looked down the hill to see a huge eight point buck looking at me curiously. He was just up to our fence peeking over. He even cocked his head as if to say, "Oh, Hi". I said "Oh, My" and started counting his "points", this is the number of points on his antlers. I told Kelly, "we have an eight point buck in our backyard!" His reply was "Go get your shotgun." I had to laugh at this for two reasons. Number one, any good Michigander knows when firearm deer season starts in our state and we are over a month away from November 15th. Most boys were out of school on this date while I grew up. Secondly, couldn't you just see the 32 week pregnant mama out there shooting a buck as the kids are napping. I think my neighbors would fall over from shock. I love my 12 gauge shotgun, but I have only ever killed a clay pigeon with it. : ) The shotgun was a gift from my dad awhile after we moved into our farmhouse in Missouri. I miss shooting it sometimes. Maybe some day when the kids are older I will shoot clay pigeons again. Until then I will just observe the lovely fauna in my big backyard. Besides "old bessy" (that is my name for my trusty 12 gauge) has a strong recoil, I wouldn't want to go into labor and explain the why. Enjoy your fall!! Blessings and Love to all- Crystal