Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

How we spent our FIVE day weekend



We enjoyed many fun family times this LONG holiday weekend. The kids loved riding bikes, shopping for rugs at the Friday Market, and our own "silly string" wars. We can say we found "true happiness" and it had nothing to do with Islam (see photo below). I loved the colors of the "true happiness" painting on the wall that we spotted while going to Fahaheel. Let me just say I don't agree with the sign, but it was unique so I had to capture it on film.



Timmy would like everyone to know that he found "true happiness" in the silly string war. HA! HA! Just look at this face in that photo, he HATED that stuff on him in anyway. It was very hard to get him to keep still for a photo of The Bunch. He cooperated, but immediately ripped the string off and ran into the open door of our mini van.



I would say I found "true happiness" at least for a time while shopping for rugs at the Friday market. I purchased three big rugs for 150 bucks!!! I am embarrassed to admit I have paid 400 dollars for one similar in the U.S. On of our favorite things about Kuwait is that rugs are inexpensive. I am not talking about the really high quality Persian rugs. I may have to purchase one of those before I leave as well.



Due to the fact that a bulk of our items that were supposed to be sent into permanent storage in Virginia arrived with our HHE (Household Effects), we are sending these rugs we purchased back to storage in the shipment that will go back soon. I wanted some everyday rugs that someday my grand kids can run, play, and eat on. I know nothing like planning ahead! We will probably do more rug shopping in another location at a later date and share it with you all. It would be beautiful to have a "magic" carpet to hang on the wall.



Speaking of magic carpets, the bunch had their own magic carpet ride. At the Friday Market there are men with wheel barrows everywhere that will carry your load for tips. At least we thought it was for tips. After this nice gentlemen had carried our three rugs and five children out to the car, he showed us something in English that it was 6 KD (Kuwaiti Dinars) for the use of his muscle and wheel barrow. YIKES! I tip the men who carry the groceries out to my car much less. 6 KD is about 24 U.S. dollars! I don't know that the ride was all that magical, or worth it. I am still not convinced that it really costs that.

The last photo was taken this morning. It was taken during a yucky sand storm. I can be honest, I don't miss snow, but I would take that any day over a sand storm. At least with snow it melts, can be plowed and dries clear. Imagine sand (really light dirt) hanging in the air, you cough, sneeze, have itchy eyes and the visibility is terrible. Sand storms do not equal "true happiness", my friends. Have a great weekend~